If you – or a loved one – has a disability that makes it difficult to access your home, you may qualify for a wheelchair ramp built by WRAP. We design, build and install custom wooden ramps that give children, adults and seniors with physical disabilities the freedom to enter and exit their homes.
Getting started is easy.
1. Determine if you qualify.
To receive a new ramp from WRAP, there are a couple of qualifications you need to meet:
- You need to live in Linn County Iowa. We focus primarily on Linn County; if you live outside of our service area, check out our resources on how to build a ramp.
- You need to have a home. You may rent your home, own your home, or live in a manufactured home or duplex. We build ramps for a variety of homes as long as we have permission from the homeowner and the entryway allows the person with the disability to access key rooms. We don’t build ramps for apartments, homes with shared entrances, businesses, schools or non-profit organizations.
- You need to pay for the building materials. We develop a custom design for your ramp. We build, install and even help you maintain your ramp. But you need to pay for the building permit and materials (e.g., wood). Ramps typically cost between $500 to $1,500; the cost is dependent on the size of your ramp and number of steps to cover (we follow ADA guidelines). If available, we may be able to use recycled materials to lower your costs. There are also organizations that may provide financial assistance.
To apply for the program, we ask you to answer a series of questions about the services you need and your financial status. You have three options for applying to our program. You can:
3. Be available for the design visit.
After you apply, we’ll send a designer to your home to gather information for the custom design of your ramp. The designer will take measurements and talk to you about access points and design specifications. After this visit, the designer will develop your custom design, get the building permit, and order and pick up all of your building materials. You don’t have to worry about any of it!
4. Schedule and watch the build.
Well, you can watch it if you want, but you don’t have to be home the day we build your ramp. We will work with you to determine when you need the ramp and yes, we can work within short notices. We can build a ramp on any day and install a ramp in any month. We build ramps when the ground isn’t frozen – typically from April through October. In the winter months, we can install an aluminum ramp for temporary access until the ground warms. The day of the build, we will send a team of 8-12 volunteers to your house. The build typically takes 4-8 hours. You’ll pay the designer for your building materials at this time. Watch a build in action!
5. Determine the first place you’re going to go!
After the ramp is built, you will have your freedom back. Enjoy it. And if the ramp needs repair or if you no longer need it, make sure to contact us. We can help you repair your ramp, move it, and even tear it down and reuse the materials if you no longer need a ramp.